Monday, January 10, 2011

Thoughts - 2011 ALA Youth Media Awards

These are just my quick thoughts about some of the awards announced today. For a complete list, go here: ALA 2011 Youth Media Awards.

The Newbery Medal, which recognizes the "most outstanding contribution to children's literature", went to Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. This was totally not anywhere on my radar - I had to look it up to see the cover and if it rang any bells.

Honor Books:
Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm - loved this!
Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus
Dark Emperor and Other Poems of Night by Joyce Sidman, illus. by Rick Allen
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia - another book I have yet to get my hands on, but have anxiously been awaiting (This also won the Coretta Scott King Award (author), which recognizes an African American author of outstanding books for children and young adults.)

The Caldecott Medal, which recognizes the "most distinguished American picture book for children," went to A Sick Day for Amos McGee, illustrated by Erin E. Stead and written by Philip C. Stead. Oh, this makes me so happy! This is one of my favorite picture books of last year! The illustrations are the kind that you can really just pore over, and notice all of the charming details. And it is a great story too!

Honor Books:
Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave illustrated by Bryan Collier and written by Laban Carrick Hill (This also won the Coretta Scott King Award (illustrator), which recognizes an African American illustrator of outstanding books for children and young adults.)
Interrupting Chicken illustrated and written by David Ezra Stein - such a fun book!

The Printz Award recognizes excellence in literature written for young adults. I will confess the Printz and I do not always see eye to eye. However, this year the award to Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi, a book I thoroughly enjoyed, and thought was so well-written. I'm glad to see it win.

Honor Books (of which I have read exactly none):
Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King
Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick
Nothing by Jane Teller

I would have liked to see The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson be recognized, but since I haven't read any of these honors, I don't know how it stands up to them.

Currently reading: Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay and The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie: A Doll's History and Her Impact on Us by Tanya Lee Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment