Friday, May 6, 2011

Giving A Mouse A Cookie and A Dog A Donut

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
by Laura Joffe Numeroff, illus. by Felicia Bond

This is an oldie but goodie. I almost always use it when I do a cookie-themed storytime. Depending on the group, some kids have never heard it before and some can recite it word-for-word. If I have a lot of kids that know the book, I let them tell the story as I turn the pages, prompting them as needed.

This little mouse also goes to the movies and to school. He's an adorable character with lots of personality and has fun in all of his books. In other books by this duo, a moose gets a muffin, a pig gets a pancake (and later a party) and a cat gets a cupcake. While I like all of them, the mouse has remained my favorite.

BUT...that was before I saw a galley of If You Give A Dog A Donut when I was at the Texas Library Association's Annual Conference. And, I'm sorry to say, the mouse is no longer my favorite. You might know by now that I've a new appreciation for dog books, but this little one is too cute; if you give him a donut, he's going to want to apple juice, and so on. My favorite scene is when he does a happy dance. Love it!

I couldn't find cover art to show you, but watch for this to be published in October. I know that's still a ways off, but I am too excited not to share. I've got it marked on my calendar!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love these books, too! Being a teacher, I also really like If You Take a Mouse to School. I have several of these books as well as animals to go with them and can't wait to read them to H. I will definitely need a copy of If You Give a Dog... to read to him.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete