Thursday, March 31, 2011

This has been a slow month for reading. I keep thinking I've forgotten something I've read, but I don't think that's the case. I have, however, watched almost all of Season 3 of Mad Men and all of Season 1 of Six Feet Under.

Love Letters by Katie Fforde - adult fiction - Fforde, a British author, writes delightfully charming romantic comedies. I've read almost all of her books; this wasn't my favorite, but was still enjoyable. If you like this kind of book, I highly recommend Stately Pursuits - my favorite of hers.

Sweet Treats & Secret Crushes by Lisa Greenwald - juvenile fiction - I picked this book up because the cover is sparkly - don't judge me. Then I realized I had read and enjoyed Greenwald's other book, My Life in Pink & Green. Most of the book takes place over the course of one day, Valentine's Day, which turns out to be a snow day for three seventh grade friends who live in the same apartment building. What I really like about this book (and My Life) is that it deals with the dramas of middle school - the difficulties of friendships, feeling left out, crushes on boys, families - in an innocent way. And, the parents are involved; I don't have an issue with parents not being present in books, but lots of kids have involved parents in middle school, and it's nice to see that reflected in books.  It's perfect for those girls who want realistic fiction but aren't ready for anything too serious or heavy.

Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart - adult fiction - discussed here - I'm glad I got someone to read this book! It's a enjoyable book.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - a classic - I reread this for a book discussion through this site. I was surprised by how little of this I remembered, but I really enjoyed it.
Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy - adult fiction - I have been reading Maeve Binchy for ages, and always look forward to a new book by her (she's got one out now - Minding Frankie). She's a wonderful storyteller, with the ability to wind the lives of lots of different characters together. Her books are just, for lack of a better word, comfortable. Most of them take place in Ireland, but this one is set in a tiny Greek village. It's my favorite, and it's what I pulled off the shelf to read at 3:30 in the morning when I couldn't sleep.

What have you read this month? Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I love her books, too, and enjoyed Nights of Rain and Stars. I just recently became aware of the fact that she had a new book out. Can't wait to read it.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Brad Meltzer's latest book, The Inner Circle, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, just read Stuart Wood's Santa Fe Edge. The main character is Ed Eagle who is one of the characters he bases his books on. It picked up where the last of the Ed Eagle series ended, but you didn't have to read the previous one to follow this latest book.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete